Sunday, May 20, 2012

Baking Finale

If you thought the most fun you could have with scones is serving them with jam and cream, think again.  For my final instalment of Gourmet Garden recipes I decided to have a bake day and make some yummy scones with a herb yoghurt cream to serve. I love fresh baked scones, they are my favourite afternoon treat, savoury or sweet. Thanks to my Gourmet Garden squeeze tube friends - basil, thyme and garlic I made a scrumptious, savoury delight.

Herb Scones
3 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp salt
pinch cayenne pepper
50g butter, chopped
1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs (I used oregano, rosemary and chives), finely chopped
1/3 cup grated tasty cheese
1 cup milk

To serve, combine the following ingredients
1/3 cup natural yoghurt
1 tsp Gourmet Garden Basil
1 tsp Gourmet Garden Thyme
1 tsp Gourmet Garden Chunky Garlic

1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl, add salt and cayenne pepper. Mix well to combine. Add butter. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add herbs and cheese to flour mixture, stir well. Add milk, mix with a flat-bladed knife to form a soft dough.
4. Knead lightly on a floured surface.  Roll into a log and cut 5cm diameter rounds.  Place close together on tray.
5. Bake for 12-15 mins, or until golden.  Cool slightly.
6. Serve with herb yoghurt and ham if desired.  Makes 12.



Mmm the smell of scones straight out of the oven is divine.  The taste, even better!

I hope you enjoyed my series of Gourmet Garden herb recipes, they really are very convenient and fun to use.  So let loose and be creative in the kitchen, it's the best way to develop an amazing recipe.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you Paul... These look really good. I love the herb yogurt idea and it's such a nice winter recipe. Late last year I picked up cayenne pepper for the first time for a recipe, and since then just about everything seems to use it. Such a nice flavour. Nice one Elise - another one you'll have to make for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I'll take two with a cup of tea please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely change from the usual scones, jam and cream. Im inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy going to have to attempt this one, nice kneading action!

    ReplyDelete