Thursday, May 9, 2013

Organising your recipes digitally

I'm addicted to cookbooks. I have a bookshelf full of them, I love nothing more than spending a lazy Sunday afternoon flipping through my collection of books and getting inspiration for the week ahead, an upcoming dinner party, or a baked dessert for a special treat.

Some of my favourites include my vintage women's weekly collection from my grandma and Donna Hay - Fast Fresh Simple, a gift from girlfriends, this book has a fantastic 'cheat's chocolate fondant' recipe which is so easy and very indulgent.

I'm also obsessed with organising my recipes online so I can easily search/sort through them when I'm looking for something in particular. This is ideal for days when I'm short of time or have some ingredients that need using up. I used to keep recipes in all different places, bookmarks in shelved books, torn out magazine pages, email, scribbled on a piece of paper, memo's on my mobile phone...

I want them all in one place but it's hard to get a system that really works. Here are a some of my favourite digital websites to keep track of my recipes.

Pinterest, essentially a social networking website is like an online scrapbook, it's great for browsing, getting ideas and keeping recipes you find online.


It's very easy to 'Pin' recipes from other users on Pinterest or from other websites and it's aesthetically pleasing and organised. I like to use it for specific ideas or occasions, for example Christmas Lunch. To which I also added a few ideas for theming and gifts :)



Taste has over 25,000 recipes from Delicious, Good Taste, Food Ideas and Country Style. I like Taste because the recipes are rated and I almost never go wrong with one of the top rated recipes. The website also give you the ability to become a member for free and save your favourite recipes into Cookbooks. Only inconvenience is you can't save recipes from other websites or add your own.























Eat your books works like a search engine for the cookbooks you already own. Basically you create an account and add the cook books you own to your profile. That way you can easily search them when you're looking for something specific. For example you remember making a really tasty brownie recipe but can't remember what book it was in - if you're like me who has dozens, you may find it very annoying to flip through them all until you find the right one. Or on the other hand you have some eggplant but you don't know what to make with it - search eggplant and find all the recipes for eggplant in your cookbooks.

Some blogs are also indexed. A free membership only lets you search 5 books/blogs at a time, but you can remove and add these as often as you like.


















I'd love to hear of any websites/programs you use to store your recipes digitally? One day I intend on creating my own website to store recipes how I want them! I'll keep you posted in this one :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reviews Elise! I have the free EYB membership but have been considering getting full access especially since we don't 'select' our fresh veg each week - already by switching around particular books on the 'bookshelf' it has been useful for working out what to make with what is left... But would be so much easier to have everything included. It's also good because it can index food blogs (101cookbooks is on there !) too.

    ReplyDelete