Thursday, September 13, 2012

Flowers and Wine are a Girl's Best Friend

It's spring time, the weather is gorgeous and there is nothing better than a blissful glass of vino whilst relaxing outside and soaking up the sunshine. Hmm, I’m day dreaming a little as it’s only Thursday and I can’t wait for the weekend! 

Last night I attended the Laneway Ladies special event to taste Spring Seed Wine Co’s incredible range of organic wines. Traditional winemaking, natural, minimal processing combined with organic viticulture are key elements to ensure purity, integrity and flavour in Spring Seed Wines. The grapes are grown in the Bosworth family’s organic vineyards, located in the McLaren Vale, South Australia.

Louise Hemsley-Smith from Spring Seed and Urbane head sommelier Sarah Ramwell were our hosts for the evening which started with a glass of ‘Forget-Me-Not’ Semillon Sauvignon Blanc. The first thing you notice about the Spring Seed wines is the stunning labels of painted flowers. Yes, I know, don’t judge a book by its cover, but in this case I think the labels are definitely and indication of how beautiful these wines are.

The evening was casual and a friend and I seated ourselves amongst the group of ladies excitedly chatting away. We were interrupted only for some delicious canapé offerings thanks to Head Chef at Urbane, Alejandro Cancino. Louise and Sarah worked the room topping up glasses and taking a few brief moments throughout the evening to talk about the wines.


The ‘Poppy’ Pinot Grigio, a brand new 2012 variety from Spring Seed, launched on this very evening was a stand out for me. It was light and fresh, with citrus and pear flavours, perfect for warm spring days!

I must quickly mention the food as it was absolutely delish and I love taste testing as many ingredients as possible. We tried smoked paprika octopus with potato, pâté on brioche, smoked duck breast and poached pickled quince, aniseed pastry and caramelised onion and cheese tartlets. All were packed full of flavour and complimented the wines nicely.

Back to the wines, The ‘Four O’Clock’ Chardonnay and ‘Scarlet Runner’ Shiraz followed the Poppy. Both of which I’ve tried before and loved. For those of you who don’t like Chardonnay, try the ‘Four O’Clock’ I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. We finished with the ‘Sweet Pea’ Moscato which the bar tenders at Laneway mixed into a superb cocktail with Aperol, an Italian aperitif. This was very fresh and citrusy, easy to drink. A quick tip - if you like Moscato, try it with Gin for a tasty and easy to make cocktail.

I highly recommend trying these wines if you love a good drop, you’ll be saving yourself a headache from preservatives and also promoting the benefits of organic farming for the environment. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of the moscato and gin cocktail, sounds delish for Summer. Moscato is normally a little sweet for my liking, but I think these two would make a perfect combo :-)

    ReplyDelete